Of the many leaders over the past generation few have touched the hearts and lives of millions the world over like Nelson Mandela.
His strength, courage, faith, and leadership was truly and inspiration and gift to the world. His capacity to forgive his captors and to reconcile South Africa by his example is worthy of emulation today.
As we mourn the passing of this great leader let us reflect on what his life meant and in what ways we can strive to serve others with the same strength, courage, kindness, grace, and humility.
God bless you, Nelson Mandela!
Below are some of my favorite Mandela quotes—enjoy!
- A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
- For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.
- It always seems impossible until it’s done.
- There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.
- I was not a messiah, but an ordinary man who had become a leader because of extraordinary circumstances.
- Any man or institution that tries to rob me of my dignity will lose.